Athens Montessori Parents (AMPs) is an active volunteer organization of parents of AMS students committed to strengthening and enhancing our community of families, staff, and students. Through a variety of teams and committees, AMPs organizes activities and special events that encourage parents to support and participate in the life of the school while creating a warm and welcoming environment for the community to thrive.
Teams and Committees
- The Auction Team
- The Hospitality Committee
- Community Service Team
- The Green Committee
- The Education Committee
- The Fall Festival Team
- The Support and Appreciation Committee
- The Holiday Float Committee
- The Landscape Committee
- The Staff Workday Team
AMPs organizes numerous opportunities for our children to support our community and help make the world a better place once step at a time. Examples include coin drives, coat drives, book drives, and food drives. It all adds up!
School administration puts out a quarterly electronic newsletter so families know what is going on in classrooms all over the school.
Annual Events for Families
For those of you curious about the school’s structure and class names, here is a guide.
- Blue, Green, Purple, and Yellow – Primary (Ages 3 to 6*, corresponding to the three years of preschool, Pre-K, and Kindergarten.) These four classes are each taught by a Director/Directress and an Assistant. Primary classes open at 8:30 AM and run from 9:00 AM until 12:00 PM. Some students go home at noon while others, depending on parent preference, stay until 2:30 PM. Students staying until 2:30 are in two groups. The younger students, usually below 4 ½* years, change over to the Rainbow Room at noon and are in After School Care. The 2 ½ hour Rainbow Class of combined Primary students offers stories, crafts, and playtime as well as naps for those students who need it. When a student is ready for more daily classroom work (usually around age 4 ½ but determined by teacher/parent agreement), that student enters the Extended Day Program. Extended Day students remain with their classroom. Primary teachers work with these students more closely since the number of students is reduced during Extended Day.
- Comets, Stars, and Vikings – Lower Elementary (Ages 6 to 9*, corresponding to grades 1-3.)
These three classes run from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM. Each class is taught by a Director/Directress and one or more Assistants.
- Aces – Upper Elementary (Ages 9 to 12*, corresponding to grades 4-6.)
Aces is a double-class that runs from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM. It is taught by two Directors/Directresses and two Assistants.
- Middle School – Ages 12 to 15*, corresponding to grades 7-8.
There is one class that runs from 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM. After Middle School, students graduate from Athens Montessori and move on to various high school experiences.
- Early Morning Drop-Off – Students enrolled in this program may arrive as early as 7:30 AM for an hour of supervised free play and then move to their respective classrooms.
- Extended Day After School Care – This program allows enrolled Primary students to stay on campus until 5:30 on regular school days for supervised free play or various classes.
*Athens Montessori seeks to allow students to move through their programs based on readiness rather than strictly by age. Parents and teachers work together to determine appropriate placement and passage for each student.